Search Feature

Thursday, April 5, 2018

Black Beans n Rice.... a comfort food meal




I love black beans and do not make them often enough! Pintos and anasazis are my go-to beans for most meals but every so often I have a hankerin' for good ole black beans.

I soak them overnight to get a head start..



saute onions, scallions and garlic in bacon drippings...



add smoked sausage for extra flavor....



Then the drained black beans...




Next comes chicken stock, a pinch each of thyme, basil, and oregano. Bay leaf....cayenne to taste.


Into the drum to catch some smoke and simmer til the beans are tender...



While the beans simmered, I made a skillet of jalapeno cornbread..




I like to add whole corn kernals, minced scallions and minced jalapenos to my cornbread batter..





I used my oven for this. lol I have an oven!


Added smoked pulled pork to the beans and let them go a bit longer...


I added more chicken stock when needed during the cook...


Seasoned with salt and pepper to taste...





Topped some hot rice with the smoked pork and black beans...


Added a bit more "juice" and called er good.




'


It reminds me of my childhood for some reason.  Maybe because it's filling, warming and my mom used to make something similar with rice. I don't make this often but when I do, I wonder what took me so long. lol

All is going well here. Still no rain but things could be worse. My critters are fat and happy. There are a few beautiful days mixed in with "rocks in your pockets so you won't blow away" days.

Hope everyone is staying healthy and happy.
Thanks for stopping by!


4 comments:

Rob said...

That looks good!

cowgirl said...

Thanks Rob! Good to see you.
Hope you have a great weekend!

Peggy said...

Looks really good! Love those pictures of your
critters esp. babies. We're still getting snow in
Massachusetts!

cowgirl said...

Thanks so much Peggy! The calves are fun to watch.
I'd sure take some of that snow off your hands if I could. Hope you all are keeping warm up there!
Good to see ya, thanks for stopping by! :)