Search Feature

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Oklahoma Wild Fires




View from behind my house.

2017 has been an interesting year so far. Short visit to the hospital, ice storm, no electricity for 2 weeks, death of a loved one. :/ I almost hate to see what's coming up next! lol
The recent wild fires have wreaked havoc across Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas.
My little patch of Heaven wasn't left unscathed by the fire.




The cattle and horses were moved to a neighbor's pasture the farm animals were moved to safety and I was told to evacuate the farm. Had several things already packed, grabbed the house cat and drove to a safe distance to watch.



The strong winds drove the wild fire south of my house and through the pasture...

I felt very fortunate!!!


Strong winds fueled the fire the next day. Smoldering fence posts provided sparks which quickly turned into flames as they made their way east across the rest of my pasture and beyond.
Burning, downed power poles posed another problem, but the electric company crews quickly replaced and repaired the down lines and restored power to the farm.


Here are some comparison picture to show the size of the small white things (condensate tanks), posted in power pole photo. (the little dots in the pasture)










So many people and animals were hurt or killed. I feel very fortunate that all I lost was a bit of grass and fence. (about 100 acres).

Hope everyone stays safe!



10 comments:

Oneeye said...

Wow! Missed your posting but knew there had to be a reason. I will be praying for you.

I was a wildland fire fighter here in MN for many years. Saw lots of destruction over the years. Scary powerful stuff!

cowgirl said...

Thanks so much Oneeye! Great to see you!
Hope all is well with you and that winter is treating you kind. :)
I imagine you saw some mighty fierce fires in MN, That had to be scary work! Not everyone is cut out for such a dangerous job. Hat's off to you!!
I'm doing fine, just a lot of stuff happening since the year started. Spilled water on my computer in Feb.. and lost a lot of pictures. lol
Hopefully things will start looking up here.

I'm not complaining, I know things could always be worse.
So good to see you, thanks for stopping by!

Joe said...

Jeannie, great to know that you're OK. Could have gone very badly.

Most of the Cal. Santa Cruz mountains did NOT slide onto the roadways, but a bunch of it did. Inconvenient, but not usually fatal. Wouldn't trade mudslides for fires, thank you. Trading floodwaters for fires? We'd have to talk.

Stay well,
Joe

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Whoa Jeanie, all this news don't sound all that good. Fires are way too close for comfort. I sure do hope all ends well with those fires. I'm real sorry to hear of your loss of another loved one, I really hope you are doing ok. Sounds kind of rough to me. I didn't realize all these things were going on. I wasn't all that far from you awhile ago. I spent a few days south of Pheonix, Arizona near a roping camp. Feb 10-19 I was there. It took us four days to drive down, and 3 flights in one good day to get home. Things can only get better from here Jeanie, hopefully.

Errol Wayne said...

Here's hoping for the rest of the year to get better. Glad you're safe!

cowgirl said...

Thank you Joe!
Man, that sounds crazy. Hope the mud slides don't get ya. I'd sure take any extra rain you have but not mud slides. :)
Hope all is well with you, great to hear from you! Thanks for stopping by!!

cowgirl said...

Hey Mark, I got your message! Not sure why they aren't all showing up but I found this comment.
I'm doing a lot better. Getting started on replacing fence. It's been awhile since I bought wooden posts, didn't realize they went up so much in price. lol
Your trip sounds like a lot of fun! Great that you did a little bit of roping too.. Bet that brought back good memories! :)
I take it you're still retired. That's nice. Keep me posted on what you're up to, if you get the time.
Good to see ya!! :)

cowgirl said...

Thanks so much Errol Judy!
Things could have been a lot worse, so I feel lucky. It's great to hear from you, thanks for stopping by.
Hope all is going well for you too! :)

LindaG said...

I am sorry I missed your post, but glad to hear you are okay.
I hope you all have a blessed Easter. ♥

cowgirl said...

Thank you Linda... Good to see you! Hope all is well with you and family!
I'm so far behind on blogging... not sure I'll ever catch up. lol
Spring is here, the burnt pasture is looking better. Still haven't got the fencing replaced but will eventually.
Have a great week!