Search Feature

Monday, March 17, 2014

Tatonka Dusted Venison Steaks and a Wild Morel Score




While rearranging my pantry shelves the other day a one gallon bag of dried morels popped out from behind something and hit me on the head. Have you ever felt SO stupid and SO happy at the same time?  That was me...
I can't believe I missed seeing these before and I can't believe how happy I am. lol



First reaction was to grab some venison backstrap steaks from the freezer.  I love the combo of venison and morels. This was some of the mule deer buck from rifle season.

I soaked the dried shrooms in water...





seasoned the venison steaks with Tatonka Dust. (a marriage made in heaven)




placed my morels in the smoker first with a bit of butter, garlic, minced onions and seasonings..
I knew the venison would only take a few minutes so I wanted to give the shrooms a head start.



next the backstrap steaks...





couldn't resist tasting one...


loaded up my skillet and headed for the house...




made a sauce with the morel infused water, homemade plum wine, herbs and seasonings..





The Tatonka dusted venison backstrap steaks, morels and homemade plum wine sauce..





I was soooo happy. This was one of those meals that when taking the first bite, you let out a little whimper and your eyes roll back in your head.  Mmmhmmmm it was that good. lol

I'm heading for the lake today for a few days of camping. Hope to catch a few fish but mainly just want to get away.  Hope everyone has a great week!




8 comments:

LindaG said...

Heh. Obviously you were meant to miss them for a reason. :-)

Have a wonderful week. ♥

lisa said...

I am from IL and we always looked forward to when the morels would come out for the first time of the season, and boy did you have to be fast to get them. I haven't had one in years and I so loved them. They are not found out here in the east, or I should say, I have never heard of them being here. I didn't realize that they could be dried. You a lucky girl, to have found them!

Peggy said...

Looks great! Have fun fishing!

cowgirl said...

Thanks Linda! I'm sure glad I found them. :)
Hope you have a great weekend!

cowgirl said...

Thanks Lisa! I hope you find some in your area. The weather sure plays heck with them here, we need a bit more rain.
Have a great weekend and thanks for stopping by! :)

cowgirl said...

Thank you Peggy, I had a nice time camping. It was kind of cold but I enjoyed being out there.
Hope you have a great weekend! :)

Chris said...

Yes, I've done that recently too, except my score was a gallon zip bag of a variety of dried chiles. Great score!

cowgirl said...

Chris glad to hear I'm not the only one. Chiles would be a great find! :)