Search Feature

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Tatonka Dusted Mule Deer Buck~n~Bourbon





This is where I usually hunt. Drive in as far as possible then take the deer trails...

 
 
my favorite rifle, a .30-30  :)
 
 

 
 

The mule buck from rifle season... (also got a white tail, not pictured)



I processed the meat into steaks, cubes, roasts and left the shoulders whole for smoking over the campfire.










I seasoned some of the cubed venison with Tatonka Dust... ( I love this stuff!)





rolled in flour and browned in bear lard...





sautéed onions, garlic and peppers in the drippings...
added 1 cup of bourbon and about 2 cups of beef stock to the pot.
seasoned with more Tatonka Dust, a pinch of marjoram, thyme, parsley and oregano.

Then into the drum at 275F..



Made bear lard biscuits and decided to sprinkle them with Tatonka Dust too...





simmered the venison until tender and let the biscuits hang out in the drum until they were cooked through.
added salt and pepper to taste to the venison.



The venison tasted a lot like beef tips, it was so tender. I liked the addition of the Tatonka Dust. Will make it again for sure!!


I've mentioned Tatonka Dust in the past. It's one of my favorites. I use it a lot with wild game, but it really goes well with many other things. I keep a shaker of the Dust by my stove and sprinkle it on many foods that I cook in the house. If you get the chance, contact Marty and Tanya at Owen's BBQ  .   They'll hook ya up with some, they're great people!!  :)

Thanks for looking!



14 comments:

Mrs. JP said...

Wow,,,you've got meat for a while. My aunt gets hers and I think she adds pork fat and grinds some up for sausage too. It's so lean.

lisa said...

Looks good. I finally got my first rifle for my anniversary, it was a 44 lever action and I love it. I haven't been able to go hunting yet with it. I still have to go to a safety course to be able to get a hunting license. I can have a pistol permit but yet still have to go for a safety course to hunt. Laws!

cowgirl said...

Congratulations to your aunt Mrs JP, great that she got her deer!
I like pork fat mixed with mine too...
Thanks! Hope all is well on your end of the world. :)

cowgirl said...

Lisa that's great!! Really nice gift!
Good luck to you when you go hunting. Hope you fill your tags!
:)

Three Dogs BBQ said...

Jeanie, that looks good. I can't figure out what put it over the top? The bear lard or the bourbon. Well, maybe both...;)

Bushman said...

Tatonka dust! What a great name although lost on the new generation! I will contact them for a try!
Nice buck! Beautiful hunting grounds! I miss the days of stalking the sagebrush flats of Wyoming for Antelope and watching the draws for mule deer. I can smell it now. There is nothing on earth like the smell of the sage brush rolling flats! thanks for the memory! Even though your in Ok it looks the same!

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

That's all looking pretty good Jeanie. You seem to get your venison every year. I hav'nt hunted wild game for quite some time, but for some reason, I have been starting to take a bit of an interest in it. I helped a guy quarter an elk awhile back, and got a couple steaks out of the deal. It was pretty good with my eggs in morning. I would say that elk is probably my favorite wild game meat, then deer. Moose I will eat if I'm hungry lol.

cowgirl said...

Bill thank you!! :)

cowgirl said...

Thank you Bushman! You are SO right....there is nothing like the smell of that sagebrush. I love it! :)
Bet the hunting in Wyoming was similar to my area. :)
If you give the Tatonka Dust a try, let me know.
Thanks!

cowgirl said...

Mark thanks! I've seen pics of your area, it's beautiful! I'm sure the hunting is great there too. I've not had elk in a long time... and have never tried moose. Bet the fresh elk you had was delicious.
Hope you take pics if you do decide to go hunting. :)
Thanks again Mark...

David said...

Sure is a pretty rifle, and the stew looks awesome!

cowgirl said...

David thank you! :)

Unknown said...

Wow! That's a nice buck Jeanie! I love this buck n bourbon recipe!

cowgirl said...

Thanks O'Mordha, Good to see ya! :)