Search Feature

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Another favorite campfire breakfast :)





Chickenfried pork chops, fried potatoes, skillet gravy and eggs.... with a touch of campfire smoke, it's one of my favorites. :)

I start the wood burning on the tractor rim first, brine the pork chops in salt water until the fire is ready (about 45 minutes to an hour). 


seasoned the brined chops with pepper, dipped in an egg/milk bath and dredged in flour.




Started a skillet of fried potatoes and onions.... then started chickenfrying the chops...



It was a beautiful morning... :)





As the chops brown I set them on the low heat side of the fire to keep warm.


The chickenfried chops stay crisp and catch a bit of smoke while hanging out.



When the last of the chops are fried I make skillet gravy with the drippings...



I add flour, milk and seasonings... then simmer until thick and bubbly..



lastly I fry some eggs in a bit of melted butter....








This is one of those "stick to your ribs" breakfasts that will last all day. :)

I need to start cooking my breakfasts outside at home. They seem to taste so much better when cooked over a fire. Maybe it's just the fresh air and quiet.....and the pretty lake. :)

6 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

Now that is a good breakfast and outside with that wonderful smokey smell.

cowgirl said...

Thank you Sunnybrook! :)
Hope you're having a great weekend!

LindaG said...

It looks fantastic! Do you think it could be made on the stove, or grill?
I love pork chops, but he doesn't, so I don't get enough of them. I could taste these. :-)

Amy particular amount of salt to water to brine the chops?

Hope you all have a wonderful week. ♥

Chris said...

Ha, I never thought about the tire pit having a "warming drawer" of sorts. What a great breakfast you whip up at the camp.

cowgirl said...

Linda Thank you! Sorry it has taken me so long to get back on here to reply.
Yes these chops can be made on the stove. I do it a lot! I like to brine chops in a mixture of 1 quart of water with 1/4 cup of salt (or more). I usually use coarse or kosher salt. You can add any other flavorings you like, sugar, garlic, peppercorns etc..
The brine really adds moisture to the chops.
Hope your week is going well...thanks again Linda! :)

cowgirl said...

Chris thanks! One thing I love about a fire, you have everything from "low" to "high" to "burn your eyebrows" heat settings. :)