Search Feature

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Grilled Venison Backstrap with Wild Onion Sauce




It's wild onion time here. The first sign that spring is on the way. :)  I love using the onions while they are available. One of my favorite uses is to pair them with venison.



I gathered and cleaned a few onions, seasoned some venison backstrap steaks  from last season
with olive oil and Tatonka Dust.




I cooked the onions in butter with one clove of minced garlic. When tender, I added 1 TBS sherry, 1 tsp of lemon juice, 1 tsp of capers, salt and pepper to taste and about 1 tsp of cornstarch to thicken the sauce.  The sauce is definitely an "add to taste" sauce on all of the ingredients. I just add a bit here and there until I like the flavor. :)

 photo f8e8e1b3-3d8e-48bf-8227-6b37f0d02084_zps742292d8.jpg


Grilled the venison to medium rare....

 photo d4cdf885-fe6c-480b-b0cf-94a99229e1ba_zpsca01923d.jpg


 photo dd501e89-4a5e-4732-ae1f-66932bcfefc8_zpsb32122f8.jpg

It was pretty tasty!


 photo c84d3cd2-a273-451c-b072-059a6b65db6b_zpsdc37ddbb.jpg


I'm looking forward to morels to add to the mix. Keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to find some this year. :)

8 comments:

Bushman said...

Looks great! Thanks for cooking the venison med rare! Most people I know over cook it to death. Sometimes I just walk mine by the grill and call it good. LOL Venison is a entirely different taste when cooked rare to med rare. Spring onions would be fantastic as well. I'm still under snow!

David said...

Funny, I've not had breakfast, and this pops up. I Started salivating immediately! Looks so good. I found some wild onions last year so I'm looking forward to gathering some. Good luck with the morels. I got skunked last year.

Rocco said...

A meal fit for a King,or the Queen of "Country life"

cowgirl said...

lol I like the way you cook venison Bushman!
Hope spring finds you soon! :)

cowgirl said...

Thanks David! Good luck with those wild onions...the morels too. Hope you are having a great week so far! :)

cowgirl said...

Thanks Rocco...good to see ya!

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Looks good Jeanie. You know all these years of listening to you guys down there talk about morel mushrooms and dreaming I wish we had those here. Well, someone just recently told me we do have them here. lol. I've probably seen them and never knew what to do with them. I'm going to have a closer look this spring. Maybe they were right.

cowgirl said...

Mark that's great!! With as much moisture as you get up there... I bet they are nice sized ones!
Hope you find some this spring. Please take pics if you do!
Thanks Mark, good to see ya. :)