Search Feature

Friday, January 20, 2012

Some Reverse Seared Burgers with Hickory Smoked O-Rings

I've made hickory smoked onion rings in the drum and on the Memphis Pro pellet smoker.. I wanted to see how the Hasty Bake charcoal cooker would handle them.

I was hungry for them too. :)

I put the onions rings on the top shelf of the Hasty Bake along with some bacon wrapped burgers.





Then cranked the hot coal rack down to the "smoke" level. Added hickory pellets to the heat and closed the lid.



I smoked the onion rings long enough to show some color but not cook through. This took about 30 minutes. I let the burgers smoke for 45 minutes then raised the hot coal rack to the "grill" position and seared them over the hot coals until they were cooked through and the bacon was crisp.





I bag the smoked onion rings while searing the burgers..



Give them a dusting of flour....



Then made a beer batter using
1 cup of flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
and about 3/4 of a bottle of beer (eyeball the batter, you can add more or less beer depending on how thick you like it)





I found some Hula Girl Chiptole Habanero sauce in Oklahoma City, so I spiced up some ketsup for a dipping sauce.





I really couldn't decide what I wanted on the burger...



I went with spicy brown mustard....



Both the burger and the smoked o-rings were tasty! The lower the temperature that you smoke the onions at, the better. I also use a fairly strong wood for the smoke.
Some woods are too light... hickory and mesquite work best.



The Hasty Bake did a great job, I was a happy girl again! :)

14 comments:

Big Dude said...

great idea on the o-rings Jeanie and that burger looks prefect - I'm instantly hungry.

cowgirl said...

Thanks Larry! The longer you smoke the onions, the better. :)
Hope you're having a great weekend!

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

That's what I would call a happy meal. That is until I tied into it anyway. Lookin pretty darned good Jeanie.

JazzCat said...

Terrific cookin' Jeanie!
Everything looks GREAT!
Did DosEquis change their label?? ;)

Buddy said...

you know one day i decided to smoke my onions for a while during smoking my ribs. then i used the smoked onions to make my sauce... what a differance it made ;-)) buddy

cowgirl said...

Hahaa Mark, I didn't think of it that way... it could be a happy meal. :)
Thanks! Hope you are having a great weekend. :)

cowgirl said...

Thanks Jazzcat! I am out of Dos. :)
Hope you are doing well, I've been meaning to check out that cooking forum you mentioned. Some day I will.
Thanks! :)

cowgirl said...

Hey Buddy! I'm still enjoying that picture!! Hope to make a post about it here...
Thanks again for sending it, I love it!!

Triple T said...

Hay Jeanie! The burger and onion rings look soooo good! Never thought to cook the bacon on the burger like that. I like the way your mind works!lol I'm also glad to see that "your a happy girl again!" Hope you have a blessed day your friend Mark:)

Anonymous said...

Those onion rings look delicious. Interesting, too, that you don't seem to be deep frying them. My guys love them, but the thought of having to get rid of a bunch of oil later keeps me from making rings as often as they'd like.

cowgirl said...

Hey Mark thanks! It's good to see ya. Hope all is going well on the farm! :)

cowgirl said...

Kirby Thanks! I am the same as you about oil.. I try to reuse it and strain it but have just been using less and less of it lately.
When I use a skillet for the rings, I try to get enough oil in the pan to "float" the rings.
They seem to turn out fine by frying on one side and flipping over.
Hope you are having a great week!

Dave~ said...

LOLOL! Love the smiley face on the burger. Truly a "Happy Meal" Hope you're having a wonderfull week...

Dave~

cowgirl said...

:) Thanks Dave!! Good to see ya. Hope you are having a great week too!