Search Feature

Monday, November 21, 2011

Day 3 of Deer Camp

It's day three of deer season. Right now the weather is cold and rainy... which is great! We need the rain. :)
One 8 point buck has been harvested (not mine) and is hanging in the shed for cleaning later. Thought I'd post a few breakfast pics.



Chickenfried pork chops....
I seasoned the chops with salt and pepper, dredged in flour, then dipped in an egg wash and back into the flour.



I started a skillet of fried potatoes, then fried the pork chops in hot oil on the horizontal wood burner..



The danged wood burner was unlevel, and too heavy for me to move. (yes I'll recuit help lol )For the time being I leveled the skillet of hot oil by using a rock under the handle.



made some skillet gravy with the drippings...





Scootched the tatoes over and fried some eggs....then toasted a few muffins..









It was kind of tasty. The meal had a nice smokey flavor from the fire. :)



There are several more days of hunting to go. Hopefully I'll get a deer or two.
Good luck to all hunters! :)

12 comments:

lisa said...

My guys saw a 8 point buck the day before hunting season began and of course they get back out in the woods and haven't seen hide nor hair of one since hunting season began! That meal sure does look good! My hubbies says your a great cook, which means I better be trying some of your recipes ;)

Dave~ said...

I'm sure you'll manage to get a couple Jeanie, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you anyways! :)

Dave~

Old Smoke said...

Well, it looks like "ol man winter" finally got over the mountains to your neck of the woods. I hope he stays long enough to replenish the water. We've had light rain off and on here for a couple of days and more expected by T-Day.

Good looking breakfast. I'm guessing that your place is deer camp HQ and you are the head chef? I am so jealous of those well fed hunters :)

I hope ya get a couple of fat deer to keep ya well fed this winter.... ;)

Big Dude said...

I'm not interested in hunting, but I'd come be the camp clean-up boy and diswasher to be fed like that. Nice job engineering the skillet.

wannabe chef said...

wow I made chicken fried pork chops last night they are the best I hope you get lots of rain and snow to keep you through the next summer there Cowgirl.

cowgirl said...

Dang Lisa that's too bad. Hope they see one again soon! Thanks to you and your hubby, hope these recipes give you some ideas. :)
Good luck with the hunt! :)

cowgirl said...

Thank you Dave! :)

cowgirl said...

Thank you Rick!:) The cool rainy day was nice..
yep, my house is deer camp, and I do the cooking unless I can bribe someone else to help. :)
Hope you are doing well, it's nice to see ya. Thanks...

cowgirl said...

Thanks Larry! It would be nice to have someone in charge of the dishes. lol :)

cowgirl said...

Thanks Wannabechef! I love chickenfried chops.. but then I think anything chickenfried is tasty. :)
Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

Bushman said...

Nice looking plate!
Deer camp is the best. We ended up with three does. No shooter bucks this year bus boy did we have fun. 3 miles down a 2 tack wwith no running water, electricity, or heat. Old style deer camp!

cowgirl said...

Thanks Bushman, it's good to see ya. Congratulations on the does... that's what I usually go for, they are nice and tender. :)
Your deer camp sounds great!
Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving. :)